We now offer battery backup systems!
With battery backup, the excess power produced by your solar panels will be stored in batteries to be used later, instead of being sent back into the Aurora grid.
Because now your extra power is sold to Aurora for only 8c, if you are not on the legacy 1:1 feed-in tariff (all systems sold after August 2013), it is much more cost efficient to use your extra power yourself and save 28c per kWh than to sell it back at 8c per kWh.
Our typical installation is a 12kW system consisting of:
- 2 x inverters
- 24 x batteries
- 48 x solar panels
We can also convert your existing on-grid system to a battery backup system.
I Want Energy is fully accredited to design and install battery backup systems (both on-grid and off-grid). We use a team of in-house, fully licensed electricians who are specialised in installing solar systems instead of general electrical contractors.
We have chosen the best possible components for these systems as it is a big investment and needs to produce great results for many years to come.
And if you ever need help, we are a local Tasmanian company – just give us a call and we can come straight to your door!
We use PowerRouter Solar Battery PR50SB inverters in our battery backup systems:
The PowerRouter Solar Battery allows you to get the most out of your PV system and make optimum use of the self-generated solar energy. With its unique technology, the PowerRouter controls whether to use the energy instantly, store it in batteries or feed it back to the grid. No extra inverters or cables are required: just connect the solar panels, batteries, loads and grid to the PowerRouter.
- available in 5.0kW, 3.7kW and 3.0kW versions
- integrated 24 Vdc lead-acid battery manager
- also available for 48 Vdc Li-ion batteries
- compact, easy to install, all-in-one system
- compatible with all PV technologies, including thin film
- 2 fully independent inputs and MPP trackers for maximum yield and system configuration flexibility (except 3.0 kW version)
- monitoring and management via integrated internet connection
This PowerRouter is the ideal self-use solution. The consumption in most households occurs in the evening, while most solar energy is generated during the day. The PowerRouter gets more out of self-generated solar energy by storing excess power in batteries for later use. The more self-generated energy you use yourself (optimization of up to 70%), the less dependent you are on the grid and rising energy prices.
Switch on additional loads when there is a surplus of solar energy and the batteries are fully charged. This allows the self-use percentage to be increased even more instead of feeding it back to grid.
monitor & manage
By connecting the PowerRouter to the internet via the integrated internet connection, you can access detailed system information (e.g. performance, consumption, solar yield and battery status). The PowerRouter can even be remotely updated with new software and functions, so changes can be made to the system easily and it always remains up to date.
We use 2 volt 790amp hour AGM Absolyte batteries:
A WORLD LEADER IN VALVE REGULATED LEAD ACID (VRLA) BATTERY POWER FOR PHOTOVOLTAIC AND ALTERNATIVE ENERGY APPLICATIONS
- Proven Field Experience Since 1983.
- The Absolyte was developed by GNB® Industrial Power, a division of Exide Technologies, in conjunction with Sandia National Laboratories, as the first VRLA, large capacity, deep-cycle battery for photovoltaic applications.
- Patented lead-calcium-tin-sliver positive grid alloy provides excellent cycle life for photovoltaic applications.
- Provides for extended partial state of charge operation and allows for deep discharge recovery.
- Wide band of temperature operation — retains more capacity in cold temperatures than traditional flooded batteries.
- Modular steel tray design provides excellent heat dissipation in high temperature applications.
- Housed in protective steel trays designed for maximum installation flexibility.
- Single cell modules are available that simplify transport to remote locations.
- Eliminates the need for periodic water additions as found in flooded cells. Periodic visual inspections, voltage readings, and connection retorquing is all that is required.
- Enhanced Post Access for maintenance and battery health assessment.
- Absolyte GP is qualified to stack horizontally up to eight high for use in 1997 UBC/2001 CBC Seismic Zone IV (at or below grade).
- UL Recognized, ISO 9001:2000, NEBS Level 3 Certified in Certain Configurations.
Absolyte GP batteries are ideal for photovoltaic and alternative energy applications including:
- Village Electrification
- Residential Power
- Railroad Signal
- Navigational Aids
ADDED FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Extended partial state of charge operation
- Deep discharge recovery
- Freezing tolerant
- Does not require separate battery room
- Recombination efficiency greater than 99%
- Globally recyclable design
- Single cell and stackable modules are available
- Simple cell replacement capability
We use REC Peak Energy REC250PE solar panels.
These are excellent quality solar panels from a Norwegian company and we also use them in our best quality Platinum packages:
REC Peak Energy Series solar panels deliver more power per square meter due to several design improvements. Introduction of three bus bars and improved contact between the cell and metal fingers, improves the electrical flow.
The solar panels are easy to install with made-to-fit cables and multiple grounding points that reduce the ground wire needed in installation. Easy to lift and handle, the panels have a robust and durable design, supporting a large mechanical load.
Committed to sustainability, REC solar panels have an industry leading energy payback time of one year. This is a result of innovations such as the new fluidized bed reactor (FBR) polysilicon production process which uses 80 to 90 percent less energy than traditional methods.
Interested in a battery backup system?
Please give us a call on 6234 7009, drop into our office at 1/5 Orchard Rd, Moonah or send us a message through our website contact form.
We look forward to hearing from you!