Building Permits for Solar

Recently the requirements regarding building permits for installing solar panels have been changed.

Please click here to see the updated rules from the Department of Justice, or read our summary below to see if you need a permit.

Will I need a permit?

You will need a building permit if your installation falls into one of these categories:

  • the solar panels cover more than 38 square meters. This means the system you are installing is larger than 6kW, or has more than 24 solar panels.
  • the solar panels are on tilt up frames.
  • the solar panels will be closer than 200mm (20cm) to any roof edge, or they overhang a roof edge.

What if I need a permit?

All of the work we do (unless otherwise advised) can be covered by a minor works permit with your council.

I Want Energy can submit the application for you; all you need to provide is:

  • a filled in letter of appointment authorising I Want Energy to apply for a permit on your behalf
  • certificate of title or title reference
  • fee for the building surveyor ($350)
  • the council fees for your application (if any)

and we can do the rest.

Download the letter of appointment by clicking here. You can fill it in and mail it to us, send it electronically or complete one in our office.

If you do not have the title it will be approximately $48 extra.

At the time of writing, only the Glamorgan Spring Bay, Launceston City Council, Meander Valley Council and West Tamar Council charge fees for the application:

Council Fee Plus GST
Break O Day Nil
Brighton Council Nil
Burnie City Council Nil
Central Coast Nil
Clarence City Council Nil
Devonport City Council Nil
Dorset Nil
Glamorgan Spring Bay $80.00 $88.00
Glenorchy City Council Nil
Hobart City Council Nil
Kentish Council Nil
Kingborough Council Nil
Latrobe Council Nil
Launceston City Council $81.00 $89.10
Meander Valley Council $50.00 $55.00
Northern Midlands Council Nil
Sorell Council Nil
West Tamar Council $80.00 $88.00

The West Tamar Council requires a hard copy of the application with a cheque.

Although we try to keep this information up to date, please double-check with your council before doing anything!