Recently the requirements regarding building permits for installing solar panels have been changed.
Please click here to see the updated rules from the Department of Justice, or read our summary below to see if you need a permit.
Will I need a permit?
You will need a building permit if your installation falls into one of these categories:
- the solar panels cover more than 38 square meters. This means the system you are installing is larger than 6kW, or has more than about 24 solar panels.
- the solar panels are on tilt up frames.
- the solar panels will be closer than 200mm (20cm) to any roof edge, or they overhang a roof edge.
What if I need a permit?
All of the work we do (unless otherwise advised) can be covered by a Form 11A Certificate of Likely Compliance – Building Work.
I Want Energy can submit the application for you; all you need to provide is:
- a filled in letter of appointment authorising I Want Energy to apply for a permit on your behalf
- a certificate of title or title reference
- fee for the building surveyor ($880)
- the council fees for your application (if any)
and we can do the rest.
Download the letter of appointment by clicking here. You can fill it in and mail it to us, send it electronically or complete one in our office.
If you do not have the title it will be approximately $48 extra.
|Break O Day||Nil|
|Burnie City Council||Nil|
|Clarence City Council||Nil|
|Devonport City Council||Nil|
|Glamorgan Spring Bay||$80.00||$88.00|
|Glenorchy City Council||$264.00||$290.40|
|Hobart City Council||Nil|
|Launceston City Council||$179.00||$196.90|
|Meander Valley Council||$245.00||$269.50|
|Northern Midlands Council||Nil|
|West Tamar Council||$100.00||$110.00|
Although we try to keep this information up to date, please double-check with your council before doing anything!